Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Facebook

I kept meaning to get around to joining Facebook. I originally wanted to join back when you had to have a college/university email address, but I wasn't in college or working for one at the time, so I couldn't. Then they changed that rule, but I wasn't so into the idea any more. After all, I have other ways of keeping up with many of my college friends. I'd been toying with the idea again lately (okay, I'll be honest: I'd think about it periodically for the past year or so), so this was the perfect opportunity to go ahead and actually do it. Side note: Isn't it funny how you're most likely to think of something when you can't do anything about it? Seems I'd only remember that I wanted to join Facebook when I was either away from my computer or involved in something else and couldn't do it at the time.

Thoughts on Facebook:
-I'm slightly annoyed that you can't pick more than one option for the "I am" and "School Status" parts of registration - what happens if you fall into more than one category?
-I'd really like some assurance that, since I have to provide my full name, they won't be posting it anywhere. I like to keep the various aspects of my life as separate as possible.
-The registration process could have been a little quicker.

But enough ranting. Here's what I liked as I registered and beyond:
-the ability to import and find friends from my address book and AIM. Timesavers! Even though most of the ones found were folks with whom I work instead of the college and grad school friends I'd pictured it finding. ;)
-Registration is broken into steps, which is quite nice.
-Lots of ability to personalize and edit the information shown.
-Finally getting around to registering and playing around on the site!! :)

2 comments:

Rebecca Hickman said...

Welcome!

Meg said...

Facebook can be addictive. Have fun, and check out the privacy options. If you make sure they're all set to "only my friends can see" you should be safe.